Sunday, March 8, 2009

Possible pathways linking PCOS and insomnia

These are two pathways by which PCOS may cause insomnia:

(1) via glucose intolerance / insulin resistance
(2) via an imbalance of the ratio of oestrogen to progesterone

From what I’ve read, insulin resistance / high blood glucose levels put pressure on the adrenal glands, resulting in the release of too much cortisol. This excess of cortisol promotes anxiety and makes it difficult to relax, and fall asleep.

The second pathway is about an excess of oestrogen and lack of progesterone – two female hormones. Many conventional doctors disagree, but according to Patient Advocates Ltd (the link is provided) and a naturopath I saw a few years ago, progesterone is the ‘feel good’ hormone. Here’s a list of some of the things it does:

* Reduces mood disorders (eg. anxiety, depression)
* Relieves endometriosis and PCOS
* Increases energy and libido
* Balances blood sugar levels and thyroid function
* Is necessary for fertility and maintaining pregnancy
* Relieves menopausal symptoms
* Reduces hair loss
* Improves sleep

Progesterone levels can be increased by using a progesterone cream. I’ve been prescribed this cream in the past, but haven’t used it (yet) for treating insomnia. However from what I’ve been told, the “women’s balance” supplement that I'm taking - and listed in the previous blog - also helps to improve the oestrogen/progesterone ratio.

7 comments:

  1. Im a 17 year old student and i have suffered from PCOS for the past 2 years. For the past year and half i have unable to sleep for long periods of time. No more than 4 hours a night, could my PCOS be causing my sleeplessness?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering if you would allow me to copy this information and post it on my blog and also on a infertility support group that I moderate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the posts.

    @ anonymous - I definitely there's a link between PCOS and insomnia. Perhaps read through my posts and see if there's that might help you...? I've found the "women's balance" supplement is good, and another one I'm also now taking called "premular". I'll add a post about that soon. Also, I find that trying to keep my stress levels down helps a lot too. It seems stress can really exacerbate any underlying hormonal imbalance you already have.

    @ brandy - No problem at all. I'm more than happy for this information to be passed around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this article. I have been struggling with PCOS since I was diagnosed at 21. In the last three months, I've been having a terrible time falling asleep, and like the other posts on here, it's nearly 5 am. I am fairly active, I love sugars, but I don't eat/drink anything sugary after 8pm. But that hasn't helped much. I know my hormones are all out of whack and I need to get better regimented. It gets very hard to take the pills every day of your life. I hope things gradually return to normal after I get it straightened out tomorrow. The sleeplessness is a real killer in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    we got useful information through your blog thank u very much.Insomnia is typically followed by functional impairment while awake. Insomnia can occur at any age, but it is particularly common in the elderly.acupuncture for infertility nj

    ReplyDelete
  6. HOW I GOT PREGNANT.. My name is Janet VedalI have been married for 4 years without any child . My Fallopian tubes was blocked. I tried everything possible to get pregnant and nothing was working. I visited so many hospital's my problem never seems to end. I lost hope and felt depressed. One faithful day I started checking online on how to get pregnant in the comment section and people were testifying about how they got results after they used  Dr. Oyama herbs,  I was surprised about the testimony and decided to talk with him about my own issue. After explaining to him he said I have to purchase some medication from him after getting this medication I became pregnant and gave birth. If you want to talk to Oyama  contact him on WhatsApp +2348108264684 Page  @Oyamaherbs  Email address : droyamasolutiontemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr itua herbal medicine is mighty and genuine,I use to use Melissa oil and Lavender Healing herbs but result were just still the same.But using Doctor Itua herbal medicine cured my herpes & Hepatitis C final and I have being living for 3 years now No Sores.My herpes is truly gone.Contact him if you interested of his herbal medicine too Dr itua can as well cure the following....HIV...HERPES,,,,HEPATITIS,CANCER,Neuro-infectious Disease,Neuromuscular Diseases,Diabetes,Depression,Anxiety,Hemorrhoid,Yeast infection,Lupus,Shingles,Psoriasis,Back Pain,ALS, Get ex back, Tinnitus.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Website www.drituaherbalcenter.com

    ReplyDelete